Scouting Report: Charcandrick West, RB, Abilene Christian
We’ve got twelve days left until The NFL Draft and things are only going to pick up steam here at Rotobahn. We’ll have multiple scouting reports posted on most days between now and draft day and we’ll have rankings posted next week with multiple rookie-oriented podcasts. Today’s player, running back Charcandrick West, is a potential nugget for you folks in dynasty and long term formats.
West flashes a lot of NFL traits on the highlight reel featured in this article, and his measurements are within the range you look for in a primary ball carrier. West also has some fantasy football-specific traits that we look for, such as the ability to catch the football.
West’s measurables are not exactly cut and dry. You can read about his Pro Day here, but here’s the breakdown.
- Height - 5’10”
- Weight - 204
- 40 - 4.27 (with wind) and 4.47 (against wind)
- Vertical Jump - 41”
- Broad Jump - 130”
- Bench - 15 reps
- 3-Cone Drill - 7.08
- 20 YD Shuttle - 4.40
It was a windy day, so you have two times that can probably be effectively averaged together to form a 4.37, which jibes pretty well with what we see on film. Also of note was the vertical and broad jump numbers, indicating significant explosiveness, which also shows up on his tape.
- Speed - It’s a boring line, but you can’t really teach speed. West has it in abundance and it’s easy to see on his film.
- Tackle-breaking ability - He has good awareness and knows when to widen his base. He fends off tackles well and defends his body well, often with a stiff arm or a spin move. West gets yards after contact.
- Cutting ability - West cuts against the grain very well. His cuts are sudden and effective. He’s a multi-cut back, but he’s disciplined as well and runs with a north-south mentality. It’s a very effective style.
- Vision - Based on what we’ve seen, West sees the field well, uses his blockers and runs to daylight.
- Pass protection - We like what we see in pass protection, and they teach the game well at Abilene Christian, so it’s not surprising.
- Receiving ability - On film and on the stats sheet, West gets it done as a receiver. He’s got good hands and good hips.
Here’s a look at Charcandrick’s film.
His statistics and film say that West is a player worth paying close attention to. He could be a value pick like Latavius Murray was last year in long term leagues, just based on his talent. We suspect that, as with Murray, West will be a late round pick or at least a high-priority UDFA. If he gets rostered by the right team, he could end up being a very interesting running back.
How about New Orleans with Mark Ingram perhaps playing his last season and with Darren Sproles already gone? The Jets could be a fit with West playing Brian Westbrook’s old role in Marty Mornhinweg’s offense. Chris Johnson may be a rent-a-player. The Falcons are obviously a nice destination for any back, and we’d like West’s speed on the carpet in Atlanta. Of course, West could also get taken by Seattle or Green Bay, which would be near death sentences for any immediate fantasy value.
We’ll update West in our rookie rankings if he finds a home.
Have you seen all of our offseason content? Check out The Rotobahn, where it's all indexed for you.
Other 2014 Scouting Reports:
- Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A & M
- Dustin Vaughan, QB, West Texas A & M
- Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
- Odell Beckham, Jr., WR, LSU
- Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
- Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
- Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
- L'Damian Washington, WR, Missouri
- Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
- Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming
- Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
- Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
- Dri Archer, RB, Kent State
- Terrance West, RB, Towson
- Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern
- Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
- 2017 Playoff Rankings
- Wide Receiver Rankings Week 17
- Tight End Rankings Week 17
- Running Back Rankings Week 17
- Quarterback Rankings Week 17
- The Waiver Wire 12/26
- Tight End Rankings Week 16
- Wide Receiver Rankings Week 16
- Wide Receiver Rankings Week 16 Part Deux
- Running Back Rankings Week 16