Scouting Report: Storm Johnson, RB, Central Florida
Storm Johnson is a solid back in a class loaded with solid backs. He played in the Central Florida backfield the last two years with Blake Bortles, but played for the Miami Hurricanes back in 2010. Johnson was looking for more playing time and he found it at UCF, so the move paid off. Johnson followed up a solid 2012 season with an outstanding 2013 campaign. He’s definitely a back who will have his name called at some point during the NFL Draft, though perhaps not as early as some folks think.
Johnson received a Combine invite. Let’s take a look at his data from Indianapolis.
- Height - 6’0”
- Weight - 209
- Arm Length - 32”
- Hands - 9.5”
- 40 - 4.60
- Bench - 16 reps
- Vertical Jump - 35.5”
- Broad Jump - 118”
That’s the epitome of mediocrity. There are no terrible numbers, but there are no significant positives either.
Things we like about Storm.
- Feet - On film, Johnson’s best weapon are his quick feet. He makes small cuts very effectively and he adjusts after contact very well.
- Hits the hole - Storm is not a dancer in the hole and that’s a positive, especially with his skill set. He’s a decisive one-cut back.
- North-south runner - Johnson’s best trait from a tactical point of view is the direct nature of his approach. He trusts the play, hits the hole and gets north-south well.
- Toughness - Storm is a hard runner and he fights through contact very well for a back his size. He appears to play a little bigger than his listed weight of 209 pounds.
- Versatility - Johnson is solid in the passing game though we do find his pass protection a bit lacking on film. He has the physical attributes, but he still needs some work.
- Production - You can't argue with Johnson's 2013 numbers. He played a solid schedule and he got it done consistently.
Here’s a good look at Storm in one of his better games last year versus Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl. It’s also the last game of Storm’s college career.
There are a handful of other games over at Draft Breakdown if you want to scout some more. Here’s a look at Johnson’s highlight reel.
So what’s the forecast with Storm? While we like Johnson as a prospect, there’s not much about him that stands out above the pack. And, there are a few things that concern us. The first thing is ball security. Storm fumbled six times last year and that’s simply too many. Right there, I’d be careful going all in on him, especially if he ends up with a less than tolerant coach like Tom Coughlin or Bill Belichick. A couple early ones with coaches like those and you are in moth balls for the rest of the year. The other issue with Storm is his pass protection. While we think he has the ability, we see a player who could struggle early on, especially if he ends up in a difficult system.
So what kind of fantasy value does Storm Johnson have? For dynasty leaguers, he’s a significant enough talent to go after, especially if he lands on a team with a weak depth chart. As for redraft leagues, I see a long shot that could get a chance due to injury, but there are not many depth charts that would give him a clean shot as major snaps early on.
We’ll update Johnson in our post-draft rookie rankings.
Have you seen all of our offseason content? Check out The Rotobahn, where it's all indexed for you.
Other 2014 Scouting Reports:
- Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A & M
- Dustin Vaughan, QB, West Texas A & M
- Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
- Odell Beckham, Jr., WR, LSU
- Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
- Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
- Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
- L'Damian Washington, WR, Missouri
- Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
- Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming
- Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
- Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
- Dri Archer, RB, Kent State
- Terrance West, RB, Towson
- Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern
- Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
- Tight End Rankings Week 3
- Wide Receiver Rankings Week 3
- Running Back Rankings Week 3
- Quarterback Rankings Week 3
- The Waiver Wire 9/19
- Tight End Rankings Week 2
- Wide Receiver Rankings Week 2
- Running Back Rankings Week 2
- Quarterback Rankings Week 2
- The Waiver Wire 9/12